Honey Mushrooms with Fettuccini
6-10 sundried tomatoes, packed in oil,
1 to 1 ½ stick butter
2 oz. olive oil
2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
4 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
Parsley to taste
1 6-oz can chopped clams with juice
1 ½ cup honey mushrooms, sautéed well
Oregano and pepper to taste
1 oz. cooking sherry
Parmesan cheese to taste
1 pound fettuccini
Begin boiling water for fettuccini. Chop tomatoes. Melt butter and olive oil in skillet; add garlic, basil, and parsley.
Drain clams, reserving juice, add to skillet. Saute slowly for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, oregano, and pepper. Increase heat and cook 4 minutes. Stir in clam juice; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. (Meanwhile have fettuccini cooking with salt added to water).
Add sherry. Remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese to taste.
Mix with fettuccini and serve
May be prepared ahead of time and reheated in microwave.
Serves 4 to 6.
From: Julie Carris in Wild Mushrooms of North America: A Field to Kitchen Guide.
Honey Mushrooms, Leeks and Potato Gratin
The original recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart, was for morel mushrooms, but I have substituted honey mushrooms (Armillaria mellea), and I suspect a great variety of edible wild musshrooms would work. We cooked this last night for a cooking class at Avanti Savoia in Knoxville and it was wonderful. Chef Karen added some subtle zip with grated nutmeg over the top!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for dish
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 lb or more. (fresh honey mushrooms, washed, patted dry, and halved or quartered if large
- 1 stem green garlic, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices (or 2 small cloves fresh garlic, sliced)
- 1 1/2 pounds white all-purpose or Yukon Gold potatoes (3 medium)
- 2 medium leeks (white and pale-green parts only), cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices and rinsed well
- Coarse salt
- Zest of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Bring cream, broth, honeys, and green garlic to a simmer.
- Assemble the gratin: Peel potatoes, and cut crosswise into slices slightly thicker than 1/8 inch. Layer potatoes in dish, overlapping slightly. Spread half the leeks over top, and season with salt. Pour half the cream mixture over top. Repeat.
- Cover gratin with foil, and bake 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake until potatoes are tender and golden and most of the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool 15 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with lemon zest.